It's typical for kids with Down syndrome to have their teeth come in later. When Gabriel was born, I was given a book on Down syndrome, and as I was skimming through the book, I came across a section on teething. It reads "Your child's teeth may come in late and in an unusual order". It goes on to say that their teeth may also be small, unusually shaped, out of place, etc. etc. So as a new mom struggling with a new diagnosis that I knew little about, I imagined a frightening monster mouth: teeth going every which way, the side teeth coming in before the front teeth, snaggily teeth going every which way.
He didn't get teeth until well after his 1st birthday, which isn't too alarming since neither one of the older kids didn't get their first tooth until they were one year old. But guess what? It was one of his front teeth. (Okay, I don't actually recall whether or not it was on the top or bottom - I'm a bad mom). And all his subsequent teeth have not been at all frightening in any way - just normal little baby teeth that are taking their sweet time. It was such a silly worry now as I reflect back on it.
So, the poor guy is teething - again, and he has what Taylor calls a "permanent snot mustache" as a side effect. His poor little mouth is dry and irritated and we are doing our part to keep the Benadryll company afloat. It's become harder and harder to pin him down and force him to take the medicine so we'll just mix it into anything we know he'll take. Today I even made him a milkshake and Benadryll cocktail and he didn't even notice.
He's such a great sport and loves to show off his chompers!



1 comment:
I know exactly what you mean! We must have read the same book when Abbie was little. We were terrified of teeth coming in in the roof of her mouth or something terrible! But she just got her teeth late, too. By 4 she had them all, none mishapen, just a few crooked.
Post a Comment