Gabriel has now advanced into the Sunbeam class from the nursery since he is 3 years old. I warbled back and forth as to whether I thought he was ready, but figured we'll give it a try and if it doesn't go swimmingly, we could always crash the nursery room again.There were a couple of steps we took to becoming a sunbeam.
First, he had to turn 3.
Next, beginning in the last 6 weeks or so of the year, the nursery leaders led all the Sunbeams-to-be into the primary room during the more appealing singing time to try to slowly acclimate them to primary.
Finally, last Saturday, the primary even hosted a 'get to know your new teacher' breakfast for the children to well..., get to know their teacher. We took the 3 kids down and they were excited to see who their teachers were. I sat with Gabriel and his classmates and teachers, who seem to be a nice young couple. (I mention that they are young only to note that they do not yet have children and will hopefully soon realize that they are the bosses over the three year olds.) I still haven't quite figured out the Down syndrome introductions - I'm not sure what is necessary information (it's Sunday school) and what is considered too much and what they've already been told. So, I skipped it this time. It's obvious he has DS and doesn't talk and may not have a long attention span (not many 3 yr olds do, though). I just let them know that he is inclined to wander off and good luck keeping him in his chair - it's probably best to keep him on a lap during primary, etc. etc. It went well, and ended with a giant hug to each teacher and a couple classmates from Gabriel.
Sunday came the big test. I took him into the primary room and his teachers were not there yet. So I sat with him, wishing it didn't take so long for something to get started. But, he was doing fine. The teachers came and I told them we were going to give it a try going cold-turkey and where I would be should they need me. As soon as I stood up and said goodbye, the reality hit and I got the big pouty-lip and eventual cry. So... there I sat.
We got through the prayers and talks and most of the songs. To honor the newest primary members, all of his favorite songs were sung - 'Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam', 'Popcorn Popping' of which he knew all the actions. Then came the reverent songs.
There's nothing like a little 'I Am a Child of God' to lull a 3 year old to sleep.
I was able to enjoy the class for grownups after all.


2 comments:
awesome. we just brought the new sunbeams into primary last week, and we had a little one passed out on the front row in sharing time about halfway through the first verse of I Am a Child of God. beautiful lullabye!
I know what you mean about "How much do I tell?" While I was reading your post I was on the phone with the hospital registation people (new ear tubes tomorrow) and she asked if Abbie could understand me and if she could speak. I said, yes, she understands everything, but she doesn't speak. Then she asked "How does she communicate?". Umm, signs, gestures, pointing, facial expressions, and words that only I understand. I didn't know how much she needed to know.
But the pouty face gets better. her teachers used to have to PEEL her off of me when I left her at school, now she runs in and barely waves good-bye.
Post a Comment