Tuesday, August 12, 2008

another first day

gabriel first day Oh, how it pays to be a seasoned veteran! Gabriel's first day of school went beautifully (as far as I can tell). I was a bit nervous because whenever I would ask him if he wanted to ride the bus today, he would stop and point (for added effect) and say firmly, "Nooo...."

08 12 08_5692 But, when the time came, we headed outside with his ginormous backpack on, and he seemed game for the bus. We gave ourselves enough time to chat about the bus, where it was taking him and who he would see there. (I was hopeful that all would be a-okay since the first thing he did upon driving up to the school for meet-the-teacher was sign 'friends'. Yeah!) Every time a bus would pass he would sign 'bus' and we'd sing The Wheels on the Bus song with 08 12 08_5706_edited-1corresponding signs. Great fun, right?! When the bus pulled up, he only hesitated a moment before boarding, then climbed aboard happily, waving until out of sight. I felt like I did pretty good, too. Another big improvement from last year's first day.

After school, it was Gabriel's turn to be greeted by happy siblings and they were able to enjoy an after-school snack together.

7 comments:

jfbast said...

love LOVE the last picture of gabriel getting on the bus. and the bus driver looks so friendly. so cute. i also love the signing friends and the sibling reunion at the end. bravo.

The Girls' Mommy said...

LOVE the bus picture!

Dewitt's said...

really i think just reading this post made me cry! i guess you got it out last year! he is just too cute and brave, and i too love that he signed friends when he got to school!

marsha said...

Perfect!

Kim said...

Another crier here. This back to school stuff is killing me this year. I better buy stock in Kleenix.

Love the bus pic too! Sniff, sniff

Mara said...

Man everyone is on this comment thing quick! I have to be now, number 6 to say sniff sniff, love the bus pic! But I do! Look at that bus driver! Perfect :)
and...."yeah! Friends!"

Michelle said...

that backpack does look so big on him! :) Glad to hear he had a great day, and here's to a great year!