Monday, June 15, 2009

promotion

I don’t ever remember having a 6th grade promotion night, but apparently it’s all the rage now. It’s been almost a month since, but I still haven’t forgotten how lengthy Taylor’s promotion ceremony was – nearly 2 1/2 hours. By the end, the less polite audience members were actually yelling (during the principal’s speech, mind you) “JUST LET US GO HOME!!” (I might have a few suggestions for next year for helping it to run a bit more swiftly. But really, that’s beside the point.)

He half-heartedly participated in the songs that were clearly beneath any cool 6th grader:

IMG_3643

Taylor took home the President’s Education Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement – complete with certificate and pin. Yay Taylor!! taylor 6th grade promotion1

The 2 1/2 hours had this effect on some audience members (seemed fitting at the high school where the ceremony was held):

IMG_3672

What WAS slightly surprising, was what occurred immediately following Taylor’s acceptance of his promotion certificate. Just on the far right of the stage, for all to see, my reserved son pulled this:

taylor 6th grade promotion

It would seem that being “the funny guy” goes a long way in his world. :) I kept waiting for a few of his friends to follow suit, but this appears to have been a solo mission. Silly boy. I think I’ll keep him.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Oh my gosh, I love the air guitar! Priceless moment. Way to go Taylor on the academic achievement!

2 1/2 hours?! What the heck? That's longer than college graduation.

Anonymous said...

It was such a long program wasn't it. You must have been sitting by a louder crowd than us. We didn't have hecklers. My family loved Taylor's air guitar. So cool you got it on camera. I miss seeing you and Gabriel of course during the week! :<

Dewitt's said...

TAYLOR YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR!!! WAY TO GO BUD! Sweet pics mom! ;)

marsha said...

WOW! Taylor Rocks! I knew he had it in him. Way to go! And Congradulations!

Tanya Leigh said...

lol. That air guitar stunt is hilarious! - That is one lengthy program :P I just think about Mr. Incredible talking about stuff like that: "It's just another way to celebrate mediocrity." hahaha.
Rach - you have a 7th grader!!