Sunday, March 9, 2008

spring hiking

This weekend we thought we'd take advantage of living in Arizona during this time of year. Todd took the boys out shooting and I took Paige and cousin Amber hiking. We got there and I was surprised that I had forgotten how gorgeous the mountains are in the spring, especially after all the rain we've had. It was so green and there were wildflowers all over the place.





Before we started we had these rules:

  1. Have fun
  2. No falling/slipping
  3. No whining or complaining about sore body parts
  4. Drink water

We took pictures and chatted as we were hiking along, enjoying the scenery and having a great time. I was, of course, taking it all in and composing my blog in my head (that's so pathetic). We made it to the top and had some lunch and I rested while the girls giggled. I was feeling pretty good about my choice of activity for the day.

The hike back down Paige was slightly less enthusiastic. She remembered that there was a birthday party that she'd missed, which brought a few tears. Then she slipped a couple times and skinned her knee. More tears. Louder tears. After a bit, she declared that she does not like hiking. There's not a lot to be done when you still have to go back to the beginning, but try to change the attitude so we don't hear it the whole way back. So, the other night Taylor and Paige were singing a funny song that I asked Paige to sing for me - it seemed like a good trail song. She obliged and I swear I even saw her grin while she was singing it:

Oh, I wish I was a little bar of soap.
Oh, I wish I was a little bar of soap.
So I could slippey and a slidey
over everyone's behindey.
Oh, I wish I was a little bar of soap.

Oh, I wish I was a fishey in the sea.
Oh, I wish I was a fishey in the sea.
So I could swimmy in the nudey
without my swimmy suitey.
Oh, I wish I was a fishey in the sea.

When the song was over, she taught it to Amber and they proceeded to make up their own songs about everything in sight. Cactus, rocks, flowers, water.....

By the time amateur hour was over, we were nearly done and we all survived!! Out of our 4 rules, I think we might have managed 2 - water, and whether they admit it or not, fun.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your hiking outing looked like fun and remeinded of the days I hiked with older girls who also had to remember to keep their complaints to themselves and just enjoy the beauties of nature all around us. Even you song was one that we sang and made up our own veses along the way. What a brave momma you were to undertake a hike with girls of their age. The mountains and desert are beautiful this year I see. Paige, you and your friend are great little hikers

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I just can't type, so it seems. That's what happens when I don't edit before sending.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I just can't type, so it seems. That's what happens when I don't edit before sending.

jfbast said...

that looks like fun. i want to go hiking with you sometime, but i'm not gonna try and bring my boys yet.

The Girls' Mommy said...

Wow, those pictures are beautiful. (We had hail and pouring rain this weekend...)

Tanya Leigh said...

:) Great story, Rach. I took Ry on that hike on Christmas Eve, and just like you, UP was great fun & all smiles ... DOWN was quite another story :) But it was still fun & Ry talks about doing it again sometime - let me know if you get the bug soon :)