Tuesday, June 3, 2008

thirteen years

Today we celebrate our 13th wedding anniversary. It's so funny how fast time goes now that we're old. Here are 13 things that you may not have known about our courtship:


  • 1. We met through family friends on a vacation when I was 15 and he was 16. He seemed rebellious and I thought he was HOT - he had a girlfriend


  • 2. After girlfriend dumped him, we dated briefly one summer - then he dumped me (actually, he just never called me again). I was too timid to try and call him.


  • 3. I obsessed and did drive-bys (oh, how I miss the teenage years)


  • 4. He called me out of the blue after his mission (4 YEARS later). I did not return that call.


  • 5. Saw him at a wedding and we made plans to 'hang out' - by this time I was over it (okay, him) - I would usually hang out with him only if my friends were around. He still jokes that he used to date me and all my friends.


  • 6. He was very persistent - I used to go to my grandma's house to hide from him (I'm really nice that way). Then someone ratted me out and he found me.


  • 7. Once we started dating, it took him 2 months to even kiss me - which I'm told was unusual for him. My dad and his friend (who knew Todd well) were making bets on whether or not it would ever happen.


  • 8. The night he kissed me, we'd gone out for a nice Christmas dinner. I was wearing heels that hurt my feet. As we walked around looking at the lights, he carried my shoes for me - his chivalry won me over.


  • 9. He proposed 5 months later. Surprised, I said yes.


  • 10. I broke off the engagement 4 months after that.


  • 11. We never stopped dating. It was awkward.


  • 12. He proposed again 6 months later on Valentine's Day. (not so much a sappy proposal as slipping the ring back on my finger.) My non-committal self accepted. Again.


  • 13. We were married 4 months later in the Mesa, Arizona LDS Temple.
    • It was all worth it.

      I love my Todd.

      I look forward to celebrating many more anniversaries together.

      Happy Anniversary Babe!

      13 comments:

      jfbast said...

      awww. the drive-bys, the break-offs, the awkwardness. what a sweet story. a little reminder of why dating sucks. happy anniversary!

      The Girls' Mommy said...

      Happy Anniversary!! LOVE the blond curling iron bangs ;)
      (I may steal your blog post idea next month for our 10th if that's OK?)

      Michelle said...

      happy anniversary! wow you guys had quite the courtship - it was fun reading about it :)

      Todd C. said...

      I LOVE YOU TOO BABY!!!
      I almost cried it was so sweet, but Im at work.
      Your the best!

      marsha said...

      Happy Anniversary! 13 years that's just getting started. Loved your story and pictures. Keep up the good work.

      Dewitt's said...

      HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! look at todd being all sexy in his pics back in the day! love ya guys

      Rachel said...

      thanks for all the congratulations everyone!

      jfbast - some days a reminder of awkward dating moments is what keeps us married

      julia - you've got to love the 90's. i look forward to reading your 10 year anniversary story

      Mommy to those Special Ks said...

      HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! Here's to many more happy years to come!

      shamers said...

      happy anniversary, friends. i met you the week before the wedding and we became friends the week after the honeymoon. i guess that means it's our 13th anniversary, too! :)

      Rachel said...

      aww mookie - we need to celebrate!

      Tanya Leigh said...

      My goodness! I hadn't realized your story began so young! I'm so happy you gave Todd another chance ;) You guys are amazing.

      Amanda Kristeen said...

      Happy anniversary you guys! I didn't know that you knew eachother that young either. Those pictures are so great. :) You guys are cute!

      Anonymous said...

      I raised this husband right...he also knows how to vaccuum!(and cook and change a diaper and pick the best wife and mom) Thanks for accepting, Rach. Grandma Y