Friday, August 8, 2008

summer break '08

This week has been busy with school preparations. The kids are squeezing in every last bit of socializing with their friends, we're shopping for shoes and clothes (which, thankfully, my children aren't super picky, so it's pretty painless), we've been to the schools to meet the teachers. We're anxious to get into a routine again.

I must admit, this was not a summer I had looked forward to. I worried about bored, whiny kids having to be holed up inside to keep from melting. Would my sanity last through the summer?

Well, I was pleasantly surprised. There was plenty of swimming, friends, road trips, swimming, baseball, reunions, parties, scouting, and, oh! swimming... to keep us occupied. I still had whiny kids on (more than one) occasion, but it was mostly tolerable somehow. Maybe it's because they are getting older. Taylor experienced a bit more freedom this summer; making his first trip to the corner grocery store for a soda with friends and late night airsoft wars. Paige could spend hours on end with her friends putting on make-up or changing outfits a zillion times. Gabriel was happy to be included in any of the activities and has become especially fond of swimming. Don't even let him see a swimsuit or towel unless you mean business.

Another summer down. While I'm borderline ecstatic about that fact, now I have to come to terms with the fact that it also means my summers with my small, whiny, darling children are numbered.

collage2

3 comments:

Kim said...

Great post Rachel! I love the picture collage! Sounds like you guys had a fabulous summer.

jfbast said...

when you put it all in a collage like that it looks like you were very busy with a lot of fun stuff. it's hard to imagine that you ever had a second of down time.

marsha said...

When you put everything into perspective, looks like you had a fantastic summer. Enjoy it while you can.