Wednesday, February 18, 2009

vday

Here's where I stand on Valentine's Day: it's a made up holiday that you end up wasting hard earned money on. Does that seem heartless? Maybe.

I like to be thought of. I like to show my love for my honey... but who wants to limit that to ONE "special" day? I've never been a big fan of spending money on flowers. They die. Within days even. My preferences are more in the form of a card, cleaning the kitchen, or breakfast in bed. So, in trying to avoid the whole "don't spend money on flowers" lecture, Todd has virtually given up on trying to brighten my day with flowers over the years. Imagine my surprise, when a couple months ago Todd came home with flowers..... and I liked it! I even refrained from asking how much they cost (I'm a romantic).

2feb094For Valentine's this year, Todd went all crazy on me and ordered flowers. I wish I had taken a picture of them the day they came, but they were not picture worthy. Boxed up, needing trimming, and hadn't even bloomed yet. But, by V-day they were gorgeous.

I was again pleasantly surprised. I did not question money, but we did happen to have a conversation that went something like this:

Me: They're so pretty. Why did you choose these?

Todd: I don't know. Cause they looked good in the picture.

Me: So, you didn't choose these because you knew tulips were my favorite?

Todd: Uh.... no. Sorry. Are they?

Me: Yes, babe. Only since forever.

He should have just gone along with it and acted as if he totally remembered - don't you think? I would have been REALLY impressed then!

On our way to dinner, he surprised me with a new ipod. I've only ever had his hand-me-down ipod, and he knew I wanted a small one to take with me running. Bright pink and loaded with my favorite tunes! Awww... ! I hope my company was enough for him, because I stuck to our original "buy no presents" policy. Now I feel bad. I guess that kind of makes him forgetting my favorite flower pale in comparison.

3 comments:

jfbast said...

joe presented me with a bouquet that included my favorite flower in it. i don't know if it was on purpose or not, i just pretended it was.

now the two of you sharing the ipod earphones, THAT's romantic.

marsha said...

The flowers are beautiful! The ipod picture is very cute of both of you. Way to go Todd!

Kim said...

Pretty flowers!