This past weekend I participated in a little relay called Ragnar.
No big deal. Just 204 miles from Prescott to Mesa.
Okay. I only had to run around 15 of those 204 miles. 15.3 to be exact - but who's counting? And by saying run, I may be a little misleading. I'm more of a jogger, really. I'm hoping to someday be promoted to runner, but for now, jogger will have to do.
Our team consisted of 12 runners (and sleepless drivers), each taking 3 legs of the race. We split up into 2 vans, so one could rest while the other took their turns at running. We went for 34 hours 51 minutes and 11 seconds (again, who's counting?) on little more than 4 hours total sleep.
Despite exhaustion, unwilling bodies, and relentless heat on our 3rd run; we all concur that we had a marvelous time. So much so, that we may even dare to repeat the adventure next year.
I realized I loathe: wind resistance, hills, my aging body, the life sucking/baking sun.
I simultaneously love: team work, night running (though maybe not 2am kind of late), encouragement, scenic routes.
Prior to the relay, I had heard of many a runner shedding a tear or two during this adventure. Fortunately, no one in our van had a meltdown. We're rocks that way. But the sleep deprivation really does get to you, and I might have been on the verge.
In the end, we didn't come in last. That's the kind of high expectation we had. I'm proud of us. For our troubles, we earned a nifty Ragnar medal that doubles as a bottle opener. Classy.
Thanks for the great experience everyone!


4 comments:
You did fantastic! I never would have thought you would do something like that. You had fun and gained some confidence. Way to go!
I can't wait to do it again next year! I'll actually even start my training next week.
Like I said, I am very impressed and if I dare say proud! Well done! The pictures even make it look like it was fun ; )....
we're rocks, or are we...dead inside?
Post a Comment