Thursday, May 8, 2008

the turn-around

Tonight as we were starting our bedtime routine, Paige became a bit defiant.

Mommy: Paige, time to get in the bath.
Paige: I don't want to take a bath.
M: Okay, take a shower then.
P: No. I don't wanna take a shower either.
M: (sternly) Paige, you are taking a shower before you go to bed. Stop whining or you will not get to play tomorrow.
P: (lots of stomping, loud, shrill grunting and inaudible backtalk)
M: (fed up) You are NOT playing tomorrow
P: (more of the previously mentioned loveliness)
M: Are we going for TWO days now?
P: (complaining gets quieter, but not by much)
M: Maybe the whole weekend??
P: (begrudgingly heads upstairs with a huff)

I start preparing the bath for Gabriel and Paige is nowhere to be seen - she's gone to her room. About 5 minutes pass and a new Paige walks in the bathroom all smiles and sweetness.

M: Get in the shower, please.
new Paige: (sweetly) Okay mommy.
(pause)
nP: I was just kidding about before.
M: You mean about throwing a fit?
nP: Ya. It was just a joke.
M: (explanation of what kind of joke I actually find funny)

She pauses before getting into the shower and says coyly: So can I not be grounded anymore?

It's almost too cute not to work.

I said almost.

3 comments:

Tanya Leigh said...

Lol! Okay, that was great. Seriously. Ryan has been pulling "jokes" like that on us lately too! haha. (also followed by mom's idea of a joke) ;)

Thanks for sharing :)

The Girls' Mommy said...

Brilliant.

jfbast said...

you've got to hand it to her for her manipulation skills at such a young age. can't wait to see how those develop in her teen years.